Thursday, June 18, 2009

Marilyn

"I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn't." — Marilyn Monroe


Ahh. Another great quote from Marilyn. I've always felt such strange kinship with this woman. When I was a little girl...I fell in love with her. I thought that she was perfect, in a way that children sometimes percieve beauty as perfection. I wanted to be her. In my teens, I learned a bit more about her life, and also, her horribly tragic and mysterious death. It wasn't until my early twenties that I learned some things about who she was, and not just what she had done. Sure, I had watched and loved her movies, but I found that I really loved Marilyn, in her own words...not just the character.

I relate strongly with the fact that she was percieved by many as something that was so much less than the reality of who she truly was as a woman. She was beautiful. Certainly, one of the most beautiful women to ever walk the planet in my opinion. Her beauty was so overwhelming...her bubbly persona, so enchanting...but she was much more than red lips and diamonds. Marylin had spunk. Smart as a whip. Insightful and perceptive.

Marilyn was a witty, sharp, complex, and highly intelligent lady. She left behind not just iconic films. She left behind wise words that this (me) twenty something year old couldn't have said better herself;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment